Sunday 14 October 2012

UNEARTHING MUSICAL GEMS - Sunday Seven (14/10/12)


It's that time of the week again, where we all hang on to the last few moments of the weekend in an effort to avoid the inevitable slide into the rat race and Monday morning.

To help you cling on to the weekend for just a little bit longer here's this week's Sunday Seven. So pull up a chair, turn up the volume, and lose yourself in the following hidden gems:

1) 7 Seconds - Youssou N'Dour & Neneh Cherry
YouTube Amazon
What a classic! I think this is perfect for Sunday, it's so chilled and mesmerising. From a composition point of view it's very simple but extremely effective. Their voices work really well together too. Perfect!

2) Everything Is Everything - Lauryn Hill
YouTube Amazon
The video concept for this one is absolute genius! Basically, New York is a 7" single of the song, and it's being played by a scratch DJ. Go watch it and see what I mean!

3) Golden Skans - Klaxons
YouTube Amazon
Great song, but I'm not so sure about the video. I mean, the production is good, but the concept is a bit WTF?!? Still, I guess it's memorable...but is it for the right reason?

4) Do You Love - Sigma & T-Phonic
YouTube Amazon
No video for this one, although the urge to dance is so strong when it starts that really a video would be a waste of time! Wicked!

5) Rocking Music - Martin Solveig
YouTube Amazon
Another one to shake your booty to, but this time it's funky, funky, funky!

6) Went Away - The Maccabees
YouTube Amazon
Another perfect Sunday song. The thing I like about the Maccabees is their use of soaring guitars, and this one does not disappoint on that score. For me, this is a great "feel good" song.

7) Let's Go Round Again - Average White Band
YouTube Amazon
What a disco stomper! It's the epitome of disco - strings, brass, a disco "kick, snare, kick, snare", funky disco bass and lead guitar and, of course, the feel good factor. When I first heard this song (many years ago) I thought (along with a lot of other people, I suspect) that they were a US funk band with a soulful black singer. It just goes to show that the Scots can work a glitterball with the best of them! Brilliant!

I hope you've enjoyed today's selection. As usual I would love to hear your comments on any of the gems I've put up on my blog. Indeed, if you have any comments on the blog itself, let me know!
I hope Monday's not too painful for you... :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment