Tuesday 23 October 2012

UNEARTHING MUSICAL GEMS - Tuesday Ten (23/10/12)


Things have been busy this week in the Nikki Noodles studio, as you will have seen from my other posts. So today is the first chance I've had to sort out the next set of gems for you, but I don't think these will disappoint... Here goes...

1) Situation - Yazoo
YouTube Amazon
I bought the Upstairs at Eric's album when "Don't Go' came out but I soon decided that this was my favourite track and I played it to death. The vinyl was later commandeered by an ex during a nasty split, but this is one of those songs that I credit for igniting my unwavering love of EDM.

2) Walking On A Dream - Empire Of The Sun
YouTube Amazon
At one point this song seemed to be everywhere, and like a lot of others I kept hearing it and thinking, "What is that song?". A real earworm of the chilled out genre.

3) Inertia - AutoVaughn
'Inertia' on iTunes
'Hell Of A Place' on YouTube
These guys supported Cage The Elephant when I went to see them in 2008 and they were absolutely fantastic. I can't find a YouTube video of Inertia, so I have instead included the link for another of their songs, 'Hell Of A Place', which was the highlight of the night at the gig. This was one of the rare occasions for me where the support outplayed the main act.

4) Greece 2000 - Three Drives on A Vinyl
YouTube Amazon
Arguably one of the best progressive trance tracks of the early 2000s, this is an absolute tune! A proper Ibiza anthem.

5) Cold Game - Maverick Sabre
YouTube Amazon
From the album 'Lonely Are The Brave', this is a great song from the Irish singer/rapper. His soulful voice is very current, whilst his style is slightly reminiscent of Plan B. If you haven't heard the album it's worth a listen.

6) Such A Fool - 22-20s
YouTube Amazon
Jangly guitars ahoy! The song sounds like it's constantly building up to something that never comes, in a quirky, interesting way.

7) Raver (Benny Page Remix)- Shy FX and the Ragga Twins feat Kano, Donae'o
YouTube Amazon
Great drum n bass that'll have, "When me was a yoot me used to blow my orn like a rayva!" whipping round in your head for aaaages.

8) Cry For Help - Rick Astley
YouTube Amazon
A stark contrast from the last entry, and equally different to Rick Astley's Rickroller, "Never Gonna Give You Up". This song is beautiful and shows that he's not just a Stock, Aitken and Waterman/PWL cookie cut out. He probably goes a bit far in shaking off that image with his Lion King mane though...

9) Ghost Town - The Specials
YouTube Amazon
A ska classic with great use of minor harmonic scales, it was released when there was widespead rioting in British cities, and became a bit of a theme song for them due to its topical lyrics about urban decay, violence and unemployment. I just remember loving the video!

10) Jump Around - House Of Pain
YouTube Amazon
This probably need no introduction at all! The most recognisable, incessant scream in the planet plays as a constant theme in the track. No party is complete without this blaring from the speakers and everybody in the room, well, jumping around. All together now..."Jump around...jump around...jump around...jump up, jump up and get down....JUMP, JUMP, JUMP, JUMP, JUMP, JUMP, JUMP, JUMP, JUMP, JUMP, JUMP, JUMP, JUMP, JUMP, JUMP, JUMP, JUMP, JUMP, JUMP, JUMP, JUMP, JUMP, JUMP, JUMP, JUMP, JUMP, JUMP..."

What do you think of this week's selection? Are there any that you just can't bear? Or maybe one of them is your favourite ever song? Let me know!!

No comments:

Post a Comment