Tuesday 9 October 2012

UNEARTHING MUSICAL GEMS - Tuesday Ten (09/10/12)


Are you ready for this week's collection of golden nuggets?

As it's Tuesday I've listed the first ten that came up on this morning's shuffle of my i-Pod, just because "Tuesday" begins with a T, and so does "ten"...I thought doing only two would miss the point really...

So here they are:

1) Ill Manors (The Prodigy remix) - Plan B
YouTube iTunes
You can tell immediately that this is a remix from The Prodigy! A great song and remix using a catchy sample from "Alles neu" by Peter Fox.

2) Feeling So Real - Moby
YouTube iTunes
Ahhhh, this takes me back to my serious clubbing days! I remember listening to the bass sweep throughout the song and desperately wanting to recreate it. Good times!

3) You And I - Will Young
YouTube iTunes
Yes, I know...I bet you're wondering if I've been possessed! Well, I actually did buy this as soon as I heard it because I love the chord progression, particularly from the verses to the chorus, and back again. I still think this is a really beautiful song.

4) Low - Coldplay
YouTube iTunes
From their album, "X&Y", this is not one of my more favoured Coldplay songs, but it's still a strong song.

5) Carte Blanche - Veracocha
YouTube iTunes
This one brings back a specific memory for me...a charity skydive that I did about 13 or 14 years ago. I was petrified as I hate flying, but as soon as I was launched out of the plane my fears completely disappeared. The entire dive was filmed and I asked them to use this track, as well as a couple of others, as the soundtrack. For me, this track sums up the euphoria of falling out of that plane perfectly!

6) Push It - Garbage
YouTube iTunes
I love Garbage, and I particularly love the album that this song featured on, "Version 2.0", and the one before it (their debut), "Garbage". Their lead singer, Shirley Manson, has a great way of literally spitting out lyrics, which I love. I also love their producer and bandmate, Butch Vig. He's produced some of my favourite albums, including "Nevermind" by Nirvana.

7) Immigrant Song - Led Zeppelin
YouTube Amazon
Ah, the mighty Led Zep! This is an absolute stomper!

8) Love Missile F1-11 - Sigue Sigue Sputnik
YouTube (note: uncensored version) iTunes
I cackled with glee when this one came on! I remember seeing this lot on Top Of The Pops when it came out and being absolutely transfixed by what I saw. They were madder than a bag of ants! I was always drawn to the more outlandish bands at that age...I loved Adam and the Ants for the same reason.

9) Relocate You - Nightbox
YouTube Last.fm
I saw this band at Reading Festival in 2011 and they were brilliant. They were one of my favourite sets of that entire weekend, and are on my list of "best new bands discovered at a festival". Sadly I haven't seen much from them since, but now this has jogged my memory I'm going to check them out again and see what's new.

8) Anjunabeach - Above & Beyond
YouTube iTunes
This song is the reason I got into Above and Beyond's music. For me it's got a similar vibe to Veracocha's track above - very euphoric and perfect for losing yourself in a dark room. It never fails to lift my mood.

I hope that you enjoy the tracks. As always, let me know what you think of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment